Welcome to the
Brooklyn Centre WIKI

Cleveland, Ohio

A Neighborhood Exploration
Currently 301 articles regarding its history


From Brooklyn Centre Wiki

Revision as of 15:52, 14 April 2007 by Sandy (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search



Dry Goods
Drug Stores
Soda Shop

Other Businesses:





Brooklyn Papers:

  • Mail and News
  • The Cuyahogan - published by Harry M. Farnsworth (this was the successor of The Town Crier). Later owned and operated by A.E. Hyre.

Cleveland Papers

  • 18__-1___ Cleveland Evening Leader
  • 18__-1___ Cleveland Evening News
  • 18__-1917 Cleveland Leader
  • 18__-1___ Independent News
  • 1818-1820 Cleveland Gazette
  • 1818-1820 Cleveland Register
  • 1819-1837 Cleveland Herald
  • 1834-1836 Cleveland Whig [weekly](absorbed by Cleveland Daily Gazette)
  • 1837-1837 Cleveland Weekly Gazette
  • 1845-____ Cleveland Plain Dealer
  • 1854-1865 Cleveland Morning Leader
  • 1878-1884 Cleveland Penny Press
  • 1884-1860 Cleveland Press
  • 1889-1___ Cleveland World
  • 1895-1___ Cleveland Recorder
  • 1927-____ Cleveland Call and Post
  • 1960-1963 Cleveland Press and News
  • 1963-1982 Cleveland Press




Streets started out a dirt roads, then well-travelled roads needed some sort of covering to make them more easily passable during wet weather. Pearl Street has been referred to in some old deeds as Plank Road, so it is likely that an attempt was made to use wooden boards or logs to make a road surface. Further improvements included the use of a base of small stones, and then later, bricks, and later still, asphalt.

Street Names

If you ever wondered how some streets came to be named what they were, in many cases, streets were named for the property owner or for a member of their family.
Many street names were lost forever in 1906 when the city of Cleveland decided to rename all north-south running streets with numbers.
Old Version vs New Version:
Botany Avenue - Between W.14th St. and W.16th St.
Bridgeview Avenue - West 23rd St. (south of Denison Ave)
Clayton Avenue - South of Denison Ave
Delmar St. - West off West 25th (between Mapledale Avenue and Archwood Avenue)
Dobson Court - East off West 25th (between Forestdale Avenue and Garden Avenue)
Doering Court - South of Denison Ave
Elvira Alley - North of Denison Ave (between W14th and W13th)
Fern Court
Forest St. - Forestdale Avenue
Foster St. - West 14th St. (between Redman Ave and Denison Ave)
Garden St.
Gertie St. - West 15th St. (north of Denison Ave)
Grandview St. - West 22nd St. (south of Kenneth Ave)
Greenwood St. - Archwood Avenue
Hapgood St. - West 16th St. (south of Denison Ave)
Hazelwood St. - West 20th St. (south of Denison Ave)
Howard St. - West 17th St. (south of Denison Ave)
Hurley Avenue - South of Denison Ave
Jennings Avenue
Kenneth Avenue - South of Denison Ave
LaSalle St. - West 18th St. (south of Denison Ave)
Lookout St. - West 13th St. (between Redman Ave and Denison Ave)
Lyle Court - West 22nd Place (north of Denison Ave)
Maple St. - Mapledale Avenue
Newburgh St. - Denison Ave.
Park Place - West 18th St. (north of Denison Ave)
Pearl St. - West 25th Street.
Petty St. - West 15th St. (between Denison Ave and Botany Ave.)
Pixley Court - West 21st St. (south of Denison Ave)
Pixley St. - West 19th St. (south of Denison Ave)
Redman Avenue - Between W.13th St. and W.15th St.
Selzer Avenue - Between W.21st St. and W.25th St.
Terrace St. - Willowdale Avenue
Wieland St. - West 24th St. (between Denison Ave and Seltzer Ave.)

For specific rules for street naming, see Cleveland city code - Section 305
Click here for other streets of Cleveland


  • 1833 - Attempt by Philo Scovill to create the Cleveland Water Company.
  • 1846 - Cleveland Gas Light & Coke Company. Laid gas lines to provide gas for lighting.
  • 1854 - An act is passed to build a water reservoir in the "City of Ohio"


  • 1834 - All of the following railroad companies were incorporated:::
Cleveland and Newburgh Railroad Company
Officers::: Aaron Barker, David H. Beardsley, Truman P. Handy, John W. Allen, Horace Perry, Lyman Kendall, and James S. Clarke.
From the harbor at Cleveland to the eastern terminus near the corner of four townships, Newburgh, Warrensville, Cleveland, and Euclid.
Rails made of wood. Train powered by a tandem team of two horses.
Ohio Railroad Company - crossed the state through the lake counties.
Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad - destination the state line in the general direction of Pittsburgh.
Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinatti Railroad - destination Cincinatti.
Cleveland and Warren Railroad - destination Warren.
Cleveland and Erie Railroad - destination Ravenna and Portage County.

  • 1851 -
Cleveland, Painseville, & Ashtabula Railroad
Junction Railroad - from Ohio City to Toledo
The above two merged to form the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad

  • 1861 - As the need to move around the city became more necessary, several street railways were formed.
West Side Street Railway - Detroit Street to Superior Street.

  • 1863 -
St. Clair Street Railroad -

  • 1869 -
Brooklyn Street Railroad - A streetcar rather than a true railroad. Two miles in length.

  • 1872 -
Broadway and Newburgh Street Railroad - A streetcar rather than a true railroad.
Southside Railroad - From Union Depot through Bank Street, Seneca Street, Scranton Avenue, and Jennings Avenue (modern name W.14th St.)

  • 1874 -
Superior Street Railroad - From Public Square to Willson Avenue (modern name E.55th St.)

  • 1891
Cedar and Jenning Line - From Lake View Cemetery to Brooklyn Bridge





Personal tools